Do I Need an Accident Report to File a Slip and Fall Claim in TN?
Posted in Slip and fall on November 12, 2019
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common causes of injuries in the US. They often occur due to the careless or negligent actions of a property owner or an employee at a business. According to the National Floor Safety Institute, around one million people seek treatment in the emergency room each year due to slip and fall incidents.
Injuries from these incidents can lead to costly medical bills and long recovery times, and you should not hesitate to make a claim in the aftermath of a slip and fall. The only way you can recover compensation in the aftermath of a slip and fall incident is by reporting it.
Steps to take after a slip and fall incident
Many people are so embarrassed after they fall on another person’s property that they just want to leave and be done with the situation, only to later realize they are injured. After a slip and fall incident, you should:
- Assess your injuries. If you have been seriously hurt, call 911 or ask someone else to do so. Your health is the most important factor.
- Report the incident to store management. If your injuries are not life-threatening, have someone get a store employee and a manager. Make sure they know what has happened and ask them to make a report. Even though this is an internal store report, it forces them to document what happened. They may not do so, but at least you took the steps to inform them.
- Document the scene if possible. If you are able to do so, use your phone’s camera to take photos of your injuries and the causes of the slip and fall (wet floor, debris on the floor, cords running across the floor, etc.). This could all be used as evidence later.
- Go see a doctor. If your injuries were not serious enough for EMS, you still need to see a doctor. The signs and symptoms of many injuries do not show up until hours or even days after a slip and fall, so let a doctor assess and diagnose you.
- Contact an attorney. Now is the time to speak to an attorney for a free consultation. In many cases, property owners will immediately remedy the cause of your slip and fall in hopes of covering up evidence. Your attorney will work to preserve any surveillance footage of the incident. Your attorney will help you file an insurance claim or a personal injury claim against the at-fault property owner.
You have documentation
When you look at those steps, you will see that you have documented the incident every step of the way. You made the initial report to store management, went to the doctor, and talked to an attorney who started your personal injury claim. Reporting an accident is important and plays a vital role in how much compensation you receive, or if you even receive compensation at all. You may be entitled to the following after a slip and fall incident:
- Your medical expenses related to the slip and fall
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages against those responsible
These incidents are serious, so do not hesitate to protect your well-being.